Over the past several months (and years) I've learned a lot about the history of those who walked these hallways before us. As a coach, it's my belief that our current men and women within the team should know who came before them and follow in their footsteps while forging their own path to success. What I've found has been inspiring...Great men and women, remarkable achievements and success stories across the board.
As I looked over hundreds and possibly thousands of photos, imagine my surprise, fascination and intrigue when I came across these two photos labeled only as "NCAA XC Meet-70":
|When I came across this photo in our Richmond Track & Field archives and saw the title "NCAA XC Meet-70" I knew immediately knew who it was.|
|Another photo in our Richmond Track & Field archives |
labeled "NCAA XC Meet-70".
A list of who's who in US distance running history are in the front
of the race held in Williamsburg, Virginia on November 23, 1970 .
by The Happy Rower
Pre wins 1970 NCAA Cross Country Championship 6 mile race, Williamsburg VA, Nov. 23rd. Pre won the race in 28:00. AP photo in the Nov 24, 1970, issue of the Eugene Register-Guard.
2. Donal Walsh, Villanova 28:08
3. Don Kardong, Stanford 28:10
4. Greg Fredericks, Penn State 28:12
5. John Bednarski, UTEP 28:14
6. Keith Munson, Oregon State 28:22
7. Bob Berlesen, Ohio 28:28
8. Sidney Sink, Bowling Green 28:30
9. Marty Liquori, Villanova 28:37
10. Scott Bringhurst, Utah 28:40
11. Jerome Howe, Kansas State 28:43
12. Richard Sliney, Northern Arizona 28:44
13. Don Smith, Washington State 28:45
14. Jerome Liebenburg, Western Michigan 28:46
15. Kerry Pearce, UTEP 28:47
16. Mark Covert, Cal State Fullerton 28:48
17. Mark Hiefield, Washington State 28:48
18. Gary Harris, Western Michigan 28:50
19. Dennis McGuire, Iowa State 28:50
20. Ken Popejoy, Michigan State 28:55
21. John Cragg, St. Johns (Minn) 28:58
22. Greg Carlberg, Nebraska 28:56
23. Wilson Smith, Villanova 28:56
24. Edmund Norris, Kent State 28:59
25. Ron Martin, William & Mary 29:00